Scieżka turystyczna po Warszawskiej Pradze
Scieżka turystyczna po Warszawskiej Pradze

20. Targowa street No. 63

20.Targowa63

Yet in 1880 on the street flourished marketplace. With mostly wholesale trade, which supplied the town fairs. The main commodities were: cattle, pigs, horses, carriages, firewood, harnesses and grain. After the closure of the marketplace in its place squares and sidewalks were laid. After World War II Targowa street, as relatively low damaged, became the main seat of the state and the city authorities. Here was laid the first post-war tram line. Here placed their headquarters Polish Radio (under No. 63) and the National Council, at the building of Regional Directorate of State Railways. In 1944 it was the center of Warsaw, in 1945 Targowa was the busiest street in the city. After that authorities began to gradually move to the left bank of the Vistula.
After World War II in 1945, Polish Radio established its headquarters at Targowa 63. The 5-bedroom apartment served as a makeshift radio studio. Here at this studio worked full-time musician and Radio composer – Wladyslaw Szpilman. A prominent Polish pianist whose silhouette and the fate during the German occupation became the canvas for Roman Polanski film “The Pianist”.

© Copyright Szlak Pianisty