Scieżka turystyczna po Warszawskiej Pradze
Scieżka turystyczna po Warszawskiej Pradze

37. Church of Our Lady of Loreto

37.KosciolMBL

At the intersection of the Jagiellonska and Ratuszowa streets there stands oldest sight of Prague: Church of Our Lady of Loreto. What we see today is only the old chapel, which was adjacent from the south to the former Bernadine Fathers baroque temple, built in 1628-1638. Its façade with two towers was turned towards the Vistula. It is depicted in the famous cityscape painted by Caneletta – the court painter of King Stanislaus Augustus.
Catholic church of Loreto was created with the support of King Wladyslaw IV and Queen Cecilia as a Baroque chapel by design of royal architect Konstantin Tencalla. Inside it so-called Cottage of Loreto was build – a copy of the house of the Virgin Mary, which, according to legend, was miraculously brought by angels from the Holy Land to the Italian Loreto in 1291. In the middle of the house stands the cedar statue of Our Lady of Loreto. The image of the Madonna and the chapel supported by angels was placed in the coat of arms of Prague city, given by King Wladyslaw IV in 1648. Loreto House has survived to our times. The very statue the Bernadine moved to the church of St. Anna at Krakowskie Przedmiescie street, where there is today. To the house of Loreto the Gothic fifteenth-century statue of the Virgin Mary Kamionkowska was brought, and stays here until this day.
In front of the church there is the grave stone of Roch Kowalski, a well-established by Henryk Sienkiewicz, at the pages of the historical novel “Potop”.

© Copyright Szlak Pianisty